Yo-yos are weapons that can be equipped and appears in EarthBound and Mother 3. This weapon can be shared among party members. There are at least three yo-yos in each game, and they are obtained from Drugstores, selected shops, gift boxes, and events. Despite the fact that yo-yos are used as bludgeoning weapons, they replace the Bash command with the Shoot command. Because of this fact, yo-yo users in EarthBound cannot perform SMAAAASHing hits.
These yo-yos are sold at most drugstores. Depending on the user, it can enhance their attack stat. Ness, Paula, Jeff, and Poo are all able to wield yo-yos, however, if Poo equips a yo-yo, it will lower his attack stat. Most yo-yos miss 18.75% of the time. The yo-yos mentioned in Earthbound are:
- Yo-yo -- First found by Ness. Can be bought at a drugstore. It is bought for $29 and sold for $14. This item increases the offense by 6.
- Trick Yo-yo -- Another item found by Ness and Jeff. It is bought at the Fourside Department Store. It is bought for $998 and sold for $499. This item increases the offense by 46.
- Combat Yo-yo -- Another item found by Ness and co. It is bought at the Deep Darkness Arms Dealer. It is bought for $1148 and sold for $574. This item increases the offense by 54.
In Mother 3
Yo-yos don't appear in Mother 3 until Chapter 5. They are sold at shops, and one of those yo-yos are obtained in events. Flint, Lucas, Kumatora, and Duster are among the only people known to equip the yo-yo. In Mother 3, it doesn't tend to miss. The yo-yos mentioned in Mother 3 are:
- Handy Yo-yo -- Obtained by Lucas in the Highway shop. It is sold for 350 DP. It increases the offense by 20.
- Friend's Yo-yo -- Obtained by Lucas in King P.'s Room in Thunder Tower After defeating Ms. Marshmallow. It is sold for 1000 DP. It increases the offense by 30 and speed by 5.
- Spiky Weapon -- Obtained by Lucas in Tanetane Island in Chapter 7. Sold for 3240 DP. It increases the offense by 47.
- If the Friend's Yo-yo is shown to the Masked Man or Porky, they will applaud.
- In the SNES game Kirby Super Star, the main character, Kirby, can get the Yo-yo ability, which changes his appearance with a red and blue baseball cap and lets him use a Yo-yo. Along with this, the background on Kirby's Ability Photo are green and blue tiles, similar to that of the File Select Screen in Earthbound. This could be an Earthbound reference.