A SMAAAASH!!, or a SMAAAASHing hit as described by a Friendly Mole, is effectively the Mother series's term for a critical hit; it is a random occurrence in which an attack deals about twice as much damage. This can only occur when using a character's normal attack, such as "Bash" or "Bite".
In Mother, Smash Attacks were a rare and powerful move that happened at random, completely ignoring the target's Defense. A well-known glitch can occur when getting a Smash Attack, instead of being the normal color, it might accidentally use an enemy's color palette (i.e. Mr. Bat = Purple SMAAAASH!!). This only occurs in the NES version, as in Mother 1 + 2 it is always green.
The chance both to deal and to prevent a SMAAAASH!! attack in Mother is affected by the stat Fight.
In EarthBound Edit
When a character in the player's party deals such an attack, the screen flashes green twice and "SMAAAASH!!" appears in the text box on the upper side of the screen. If a character from the player's party receives a SMAAAASH!! attack, the screen will instead flash red once.
The chance of dealing a SMAAAASH!! attack in EarthBound is affected by the character's Guts. Surprisingly, the Luck stat has nothing to do with it. Jeff cannot SMAAAASH!! in the SNES and Super Famicom version, seeing as his means of attack involve long ranged weapons. However, in Mother 1+2, Jeff can hit a smash. This is probably an error.
SMAAAASH!! attacks in Mother 3 work the same way that they do in EarthBound, except that "SMAAAASH!!" appears above the victim's sprite if dealt to an enemy, and above the character's HP meter if dealt to the player's party.
Smash attacks are also the name of a type of attack in the Super Smash Bros. series. In SSB, Smash attacks are performed by smashing the control stick in one of the four main directions and pressing A simultaneously. This will unleash a strong, albeit slow attack, that is normally used to KO opponents when their percentage is rather high.
In all games in the Smash series, Ness' smash attacks are:
- Up smash: Ness swings his yo-yo in an arc above him. This is known as "around the world".
- Side smash: Ness uses a baseball bat that can reflect projectiles.
- Down smash: Ness swings his yo-yo along the ground, hitting his back and then his front. This is known as "walk the dog".
Lucas' smash attacks are:
- Up smash: Lucas creates a large, strong burst of PSI (likely PK Love) above him.
- Side smash: Lucas swings a stick in front of him. This can reflect projectiles.
- Down smash: Lucas fires 3 small bursts of PSI (likely PK Love) at his feet in front of him.