|The Runaway Five|
The Runaway Five (Japanese: トンズラブラーザズ Tonzura Brothers) are a Jazz band in EarthBound. They perform in Twoson and, later, Fourside. Despite being called the Runaway Five, the band is actually composed of six members: two singers (who also dance on stage) and four instrumentalists. In Twoson, Ness frees the band from a $10,000 debt to the owner of the Chaos Theater with a wad of bills acquired from Mr. Everdred. In return, the band gives Ness a ride to Threed. In Fourside, the band has incurred an even larger debt to the owner of the Topolla Theater which Ness pays with a large diamond. They repay this second act of charity by aiding Ness in the Monotoli Building by pushing a button on the invincible Clumsy Robot, deactivating it and saving Ness and Jeff Andonuts. They also pray for Ness and his party during the final battle.
- In the original version of Mother 2, the members of the Runaway Five all had black clothing. In EarthBound, their clothing was edited to make the band members appear more unique. This was done to avoid having too strong a similarity between the Runaway Five and the real-life Blues Brothers.
- During the events of Mother 3, the Runaway Five's tour bus can be found in the Hall of Memories in New Pork City's Empire Porky Building.
- The Runaway Five's equivalent in EarthBound's sequel, Mother 3, is said to be DCMC. Both the Runaway Five and DCMC share similar roles in their corresponding games, which extend to both bands being their corresponding games' highlighted performers, and both save the main protagonists from a seemingly doomed battle.
- Lucky and Gorgeous, the lead singers of the Runaway Five, appear in the opening sequence for Super Smash Bros. Melee, nearly being run over by Ness who is using PSI Teleport. They appear as they did in Mother 2 (the Japanese version of EarthBound), without the colors of their clothing edited.
- Lucky and Gorgeous also appear in Super Smash Bros. at the end of Ness' 1 player mode in cartoon form, saying "You're so good!" They appear as they did in the Japanese version of Earthbound, without their clothing edited.
- In Mother 2, the Runaway Five are called the Tonzura Brothers. "Tonzura" stands for "Runaway", and "Runaway Brothers" is a bit more fitting because the Runaway Five does not have 5 members.
- Lucky and Gorgeous, the lead singers names, are the DCMC names for Duster. Lucky is the default name, but he will be called Gorgeous if the player named him Lucky.
- The Runaway Five are based on a famous musical number called Blues Brothers
- The band's keyboardist does not appear with the band off-stage, and therefore may not be a full member of the band. This would better explain their name with only five official members.