|Origin||Saturn Valley in EarthBound |
Saturn Valley in Mother 3
|Appears in||EarthBound |
The Mr. Saturn (どせいさん Dosei-san) are a species in EarthBound and Mother 3 and serve as the unofficial mascot for the trilogy. They are strange, possibly extra-terrestrial life forms who reside in both Eagleland's Saturn Valley and the Nowhere Islands's Saturn Valley in EarthBound and Mother 3, respectively. They are characterized by their black eyes with big eyebrows and huge noses, four whiskers, and also a single hair with a small red bow. They are generally very peaceful and generous, offering free coffee and stays at the hotel. They speak Saturnian (composed of odd looking English letters), and erratically use the words "boing," "ding," and "zoom" at the ends of their sentences. The Japanese font is said to be inspired by the handwriting of the young daughter of EarthBound's designer, Shigesato Itoi. They are said to speak strange and funny goofy language.
Of Mr. Saturn, Itoi has stated that the race is the symbol of innocence in EarthBound. The Mr. Saturns are often said to have no gender (all are genderless and all Mr. Saturns do not tell about their gender, rarely), but in Mother 3 a Mr. Saturn exclaimed "Girl, am girl" (actually not a girl, genderless) which, though it could mean a multitude of things, is one of several signs pointing to the idea that the Mr. Saturn have genders. Their coffee apparently has psychoactive properties, since both Ness and Lucas each receive a message set to a surreal and psychadelic background upon drinking some Saturnian coffee.
Their village has round homes which resemble flying saucers and strange furniture, such as Automatic Teller Machines which bounce up and down in place and resemble Mr. Saturn. Some of the Mr. Saturns' preferred foods are "peanut cheese bars" and "piggy jelly", goods that can be purchased in the Saturn Valley shop.
Nearly all of the Mr. Saturn live in Saturn Valley beyond Grapefruit Falls (Though there is one living back in Happy Happy Village and another in Onett). When Ness, Paula, and Jeff first arrive in Saturn Valley, several are missing. They provide information relating to Master Belch and his Fly Honey factory. Ness and his friends get into the factory to find that Belch has enslaved some of the Mr. Saturn, forcing them to make fly honey for him. When Belch is defeated and the Mr. Saturn are freed, Ness and friends gain access to the upper part of Saturn Valley and the Your Sanctuary location Milky Well, then they can proceed to Fourside.
Later in the game, Dr. Andonuts, Apple Kid, and the Mr. Saturn design the Phase Distorter in Saturn Valley to enable Ness and company to travel through time back to the past, in order to confront Giygas.
Again, the Mr. Saturn live in a place called Saturn Valley, which is located nearby one of the Highway exits. They are initially captured by the Pigmask Army, so that the Mr. Saturn would confess the location of the fourth Needle. Lucas and co. rescue them from the Pigmask Army and their Frightbots, and in return they tell him where to find the Needle. After the party defeats New Fassad and Lucas lifts the fourth Needle, they return to Saturn Valley, only to find that a Pigmask has blocked off the exit. Lucas and friends escape the valley when, with the help of Rope Snake, who sees this as an opportunity to redeem himself, they grab hold of a cage of captured birds.
Dr. Andonuts and the Mr. Saturn are also responsible for designing the Absolutely Safe Capsule to be used by Pokey Minch in times of desperation. It is unknown how they manage to have such mechanical skills despite their lack of arms.
Super Smash Bros. SeriesEdit
ItemEditIn both Super Smash Bros. Melee, Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Super Smash Bros. 4, Mr. Saturn appears as an item. After spawning or being released from a container, it sits in place for a few seconds, then walks around. It is often seen as a "joke item", in that it has no special use aside from being thrown at an enemy character for a few points of damage. It can also be damaged by attacks which sends it flying. The Mr. Saturn can also be caught in mid-throw and tossed back at opponents. Though commonly overlooked, there is one thing Mr. Saturn is good for, which is breaking shields. In Super Smash Bros. Brawl, its description in the Item Switch is simply, "Pwaaaaah. Pwaaaaah," and it is categorized as a throwing item.
In Super Smash Bros. Brawl, there are two Mr. Saturn stickers. One is fairly large, featuring his clay model from EarthBound, and the other is his sprite in Mother 3. Attaching the former to any character's trophy base will make the character always spawn holding a Mr. Saturn in The Subspace Emissary, while the latter will increase the power of Ness and Lucas's PK moves by 7.
Super Smash Bros. MeleeEdit
"The origins of the Mr. Saturn race are unknown. But many believe that they come from outer space. They are found in Saturn Valley and speak their own unique language. In Super Smash Bros. Melee, Mr. Saturn is just another item with which to pelt foes. These guys are laid back and not into fighting, so you can rest easy... or can you?"
Super Smash Bros. BrawlEdit
"A creature from a race of unknown origin that speaks its own unique language. Some say they came from outer space, but the facts behind their appearance are wrapped in mystery. In Smash Bros., they'll wait a bit after appearing before wandering off on their own. They can be picked up and thrown at foes for minimal damage. Their shield-breaking properties are high."
- EarthBound (1995)
- Mother 3 (2006)
When Lucas is arriving in a battle in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, he rides onto the field on the Mr. Saturn's walking coffee table. Ness also has an alternate costume featuring a white Mr. Saturn sprite on a solid black t-shirt. It's very similar to the Good Kid's Shirt, an equippable item that is found in Saturn Valley in Mother 3.
- Mr. Saturn also makes an appearance as a cameo in the subgame The Great Cave Offensive from the game Kirby Super Star & Super Star Ultra as a treasure chest item. It is worth 120,000G, the subgame's point system.
- Mr. Saturn has been used for many promotional prizes, such as plushies and phone straps.
- A parody of Mr. Saturn was seen in the 2011 anime Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko; however, it's name was Mr. Pluto.
- Both Mr. Saturns in Mother 3 and EarthBound kept their design and features, color, vice versa.
- Mr. Saturns live in their own location, Saturn Valley, where all Mr. Saturns have their residence in. A named Mr. Saturn who the Mr. Saturns hired, Dr. Saturn, who only appears in EarthBound, fixes Ness and co.'s body up, however it appears as a Mr. Saturn hiding in a trash can as if it is looking for doctor tools inside the trash can (possibly that someone threw those doctor tools away in the trash can and Dr. Saturn took the trash can to find the tools and use it to fix explorers of Saturn Valley such as Ness and co.). It is unknown if Dr. Saturn re-appeared in Mother 3.
- Despite being able to build the Phase Distorter and modify a Pork Bean to look like one of them (all with no hands but have feet instead), the Mr. Saturns cannot draw a geographically accurate map of Saturn Valley and that is why Saturn Valley is not marked on any map confirmed in EarthBound by a unnamed man who told Ness and co. that Saturn Valley was not there in all maps.
- Mr. Saturn in the credits on Mother 3 was mentioned, as one is "fishing for birds" using a balloon, two doing nothing but walking in front despite not moving like some of the characters in the credits, and some are stacking beside Leder but still isn't as tall as him yet.
- A Mr. Saturn appears in EarthBound 64 (cancelled game), to see its appearance see the picture below.