- "Oh, man! I thought you guys were just everyday little kids, but you defeated the Kraken! I also helped in the battle...I threw my slippers at the beast... Maybe you didn't notice."
- — Captain after the Kraken between Toto and Scaraba is defeated
The Kraken is a boss from EarthBound, first encountered by Ness and friends while travelling on the ship to Scaraba from Toto. Three other Krakens appear later in the Sea of Eden area of Magicant, and they will not reappear if defeated. These Krakens appear as enemies, but the boss encounter fanfare and boss swirl are still used. His theme is shared with Thunder & Storm and the Electro Specter.
- The EarthBound Player's Guide has a mistake in it, saying that the regular Kraken can drop the Gutsy Bat, when in reality it is the Bionic Kraken that can.
- The item Kraken soup says in its description that it is soup made from the fin of the Kraken, and is only sold from a restaurant in Summers.
- In seafaring legend, a Kraken is a mythical gigantic octopus or squid that can drag entire ships to the bottom of the ocean. The visual design of the Kraken in EarthBound is based off of a sea serpent rather than a kraken.