|Relatives||Claus, Lucas, Alec|
|Appears in||Mother 3|
- "You aren't Porky's robot. You're our son. Claus. Come to my arms. You must be exhausted."
- — Hinawa
Hinawa (ヒナワ) is a character in Mother 3. She is the loving mother of Lucas and Claus, the two boys from Tazmily Village. In many cases, Hinawa is unique in that she is involved in the plot much more deeply than the mothers of past protagonists in the Mother series.
Biography EditDuring the events of Mother 3, Hinawa is fatally wounded by the Mecha-Drago, a Drago mutated by the Pigmask Army (Flint finds out when Bronson tells him the bad news), and succumbs to her wounds soon afterward. This also leads to Flint's distress and causes him to lash out at Abbot, Ollie, Tessie and almost Bronson before he was restrained and thrown in Tazmily prison. She subsequently makes an appearance during the sixth chapter of the game as a spirit. After the end of Chapter 5 when Lucas and co. fell from the ship's ladder, Lucas finds himself alone in the middle of a sunflower field. After finding Boney in the field, Boney runs after the ghost of Hinawa. Lucas chases after Boney, only to find a cliff at the end of the field. Lucas sees his mother floating on the clouds and jumps off the cliff to reach her and falls, ending Chapter 6. Lucas lands on a pile of hay just after Boney does. It is then revealed that Hinawa came to Alec in a dream, and told him to put the hay there. Her spirit also makes an appearance during the final boss fight, calling Claus to help him come to his senses.
Hinawa appears in Super Smash Bros. Brawl as a sticker. Attaching this sticker to the bottom of Ness or Lucas's trophies in The Subspace Emissary decreases the damage they take from physical attacks (such as kicks and punches) by 4.
- Hinawa's name means "matchlock" (literally, "string of fire"), i.e. the lock on a matchlock gun (火縄銃hinawajuu), as opposed to a flintlock gun, the name of which clearly inspired her husband's name.
- It was hinted that she was going to be playable in EarthBound 64, because Shigesato Itoi mentioned 10 playable characters, and in the final game, only 6 can be controlled.
- In EarthBound 64, Hinawa was going to be blonde, but in Mother 3, her hair color was changed to brown.
- Her name could be a possible reference to Haniwa, which are Japanese terracota clay figures that were burried with the dead as funerary objects during the Korfun Period in Japan.
- She and Claus are the only non-playable characters in Mother 3 whose names can be chosen by the player.
- In Chapter 1, when playing as Lucas, you can dash into her chair before leaving to play with the Dragos to obtain Nut Bread.