|Also known as||Lucky|
|Appears in||Mother 3|
- "Tonda Gossa... Thanks, guys..."
- — Duster
Duster (ダスター Dasutā) is a character in Mother 3. A thief who sets out on adventures of his own first introduced in Chapter 1 who later becomes a main character in Chapter 2. Duster joins Lucas at the end of Chapter 4 after being in the DCMC for three years as their bassist (where he was called Lucky); it is also shown that he learned to play the double bass cello after being picked up by DCMC after the event in Chapter 3 when Duster "goes missing" from Kumatora and Wess for three years. He is seperated at the end of Chapter 5, and returns permanently during Chapter 7, though in the final battle he is somewhat useless due to the fact that the Masked Man uses a move that K.O.s the entire team except for Lucas. He usually uses shoes as his primary weapon, along with a number of Thief Tools that weaken or distract foes.
While having a leg that he is always seen to limp with, Duster continues to have excellent speed. Not only is he the second-fastest party member after Boney, but he can sometimes "Attack with blinding speed!" to attack the enemy before the start of the battle or jump behind an enemy, which flips the entire party behind the enemy and gives the party a turn to attack before the enemy can. He can also unleash a reverse kick on an enemy that has attacked the party from behind before the enemy takes their turn. Wess alludes to an incident in his past in which he blames himself for paralyzing Duster's left leg. The limp is recognizable regardless of what he is wearing, such as when he is in the guise of a Pigmask. However, he has no difficulty running, kicking, and moving on staircases, so his leg might not be completely immobile. Due to the way he holds his hip to give his leg extra support, he may just be paralyzed from the ankle down, which would make it awkward for Duster to walk but not reduce the effectiveness of kicking with the leg in mention with a good shoe on.Ness or Lucas's trophies in The Subspace Emissary increases the power of their leg-based attacks by 4.
TriviaEdit*Duster's earlier render for Earthbound 64 had yellow hair and black clothing with a white bag. In his later render, he had a blue hat and shirt, red shorts a brown bag, and brown hair.
- Duster is the only character who can get their equippable weapon with "Mystical" in the name before Chapter 7.
- In Osohe Castle, running into the statue holding the steel ball from the right side will cause the steel ball to fall and hit Duster, instantly killing him.
- If the player chooses to name Duster 'Lucky' at the start of the game, his name as part of the DCMC will be Gorgeous instead.
- On the note of Duster's limping leg, director Shigesato Itoi explains, "I figure that because there are handicapped people in our world, it would also be part of the world of Mother 3. After all, there's no way that any two people have the same physique or even the same personality. Just like with the Magypsies, I included Duster so we could have someone with bad breath, a disabled leg, and living as a thief. The Mother 3 world is all about having friends like them. Perhaps you could call them symbols of not rejecting such people."
- It was hinted that Duster was supposed to be an enemy in the game. From the list of enemies in the game Duster may have turned on Lucas and company during the story, but was cut from the game. Other theories suggest he was supposed to act like Teddy which, when beaten, joins the party. Also noticable are DCMC members in the list indicating that they may have been meant to be fought instead of Stone-Sheet-Clippers to get Duster back.
- Due to a glitch, Duster's next 'tune' when performing a combo isn't randomized like the other characters. It's always 0, so it always plays the same tune. Tomato, who made Mother 3's fan translation, stated that his team will try to fix this bug in a later update. Jeffman later fixed the bug, the fix being downloadable here .
- Duster's age was never stated, but various in game clues suggest that he is in his mid-twenties. He is as tall as Flint, he has facial hair, his father Wess is somewhat old, and when a Pigmask reported him to Fassad he suggested that he was drunk.
- Duster and Jeff Andonuts have a slight similarity: they both can't use PSI but make up for it with a variety of items (Duster with his thief tools and Jeff with the broken items he fixes).
- Duster is the only adult that you end the game with not counting other playable adult characters that are only played temporarily.
- During the secret ending, Duster calls Kumatora "really cute" when she cries for the first time in the game.